Valentine’s Day can be a special occasion for nearly everyone—including parrot owners. You can make the day memorable not only for that special someone in your life, but also for your feathered friend.
And you’re not alone! The National Retail Foundation estimated that pet owners would spend $367 million on their pets for Valentine’s Day. So why not join the fun? Think how surprised your bird will be to wake up to new a bird toy, a bird perch or Parrot Playgym.
As you get started planning for this special day, here are a few safety precautions to remember:
Avoid Candles: Decorating for Valentine’s Day can be fun. But as much as you enjoy the sweet-smelling aroma of a low-burning candle, the fumes can be toxic to your bird and the flame dangerous.
Hide the Bouquet: If a flower arrangement is sent to you, keep it out of your parrot’s reach. Some flowers can be toxic to birds. Avoid placing flower arrangements near your bird stand, bird perch, or parrot playgym. Instead tuck them safely away in a bedroom or behind a closed door.
Watch the Sweets: Chocolate and other candies are not an appropriate gift for your feathered friend. These products contain substances that can be very harmful, even fatal to your parrot. Avoid leaving candy boxes lying around.
Making Your Parrot’s Day Special
Here are a few ideas to make your parrot’s Valentine’s Day extra sweet:
Parrots love to eat. If you are looking for healthy treats, consider Lafeber Avi Cakes or Lafeber Nutri-Berries. My entire flock loves these healthy treats.
Buy a New Bird Toy:
Toys for birds are not hard to find. But instead of grabbing a cheap item off a store shelf, look for something extra special this year. There are bird toy companies who produce quality products your bird will love. At Fun Time Birdy you can find handcrafted bird toys, Parakeet bird toys, Cockatiel Bird toys, African Grey Parrot toys, Amazon Parrot toys and Cockatoo bird toys designed specifically with your bird’s needs in mind. These brightly colored toys for birds will keep your parrot entertained for hours.
Happy Valentine’s Day to you and your Feathered Friend from all of us at FunTime Birdy
Posted in Bird Health, Bird Tips
Tagged bird perches, Bird Stands, Bird Toys, bird toys for African Grey Parrots, Bird Toys for Amazon Parrots, bird toys for cockatoos, bird toys for macaws, lafeber avi cakes, Lafeber Nutri-Berries, Parakeet toys, Parrot Playgyms
Our African Grey Jerry is 16 years old. He was an adoption from other households so when he came to our home he did not play much with bird toys.
He has been with us for over 11 years now and we have noticed his bird toy playing skills have vastly improved. For a bird that did not play with toys when he first came here…….he now spends most his day playing, chewing and exploring his bird toys.
We have found that one of his favorite bird toys is the Birdy Cubed. The Birdy Cubed bird toy has lots of wood chews and also soft plastic chews that he enjoys chewing and having a good time with all day.
Continuing our list of tips of what not to do with your parrot…
7. Never place a large and small parrot in the same cage unless you are sure they get along. Some parrots can be extremely territorial and aggressive. If you have a parrot who is accustomed to being the only bird in his home (cage), and one day you place another bird in his cage besides him, he can become hostile to the new bird.
8. Never feed your parrot chocolate. Some foods simply aren’t healthy for your birds. Others are downright dangerous. Even in small portions, chocolate can be deadly to parrots. As a result, whenever you are hosting a party at your house, make sure there is no chocolate within your birds reach. Of course, you will also want to inform your guests not to feed your bird anything without your permission.
9. Never isolate your parrot from the family. Because parrots are flock animals and need the companionship of others, isolation can cause serious mental and physical issues. Birds that are kept in a cage and have little or no interaction with their owners become depressed and sullen. They may refuse to eat or play with their parrot toys. Some birds may resort to feather plucking, screaming or aggression. In order to have an emotionally healthy bird, provide them with plenty of family time! You can let you bird hang out with the family on their Parrot Playgym while everyone watches TV or plays games.
10. Never leave another pet alone around your parrot’s cage. Even if your Yellow Lab is the most docile dog in the world, do not leave him around your parrot’s cage unattended. Cats and other pets should also be kept away from your parrot’s cage. Remember both dogs and cats are hunters by nature and birds are animals of prey—seeing your parrot flutter around his cage may be too great of a temptation for your four-legged family member. Even if they only want to play, they could accidently harm your bird by pouncing on the cage.
11. Never feed a seed-only diet. Parrots love seeds. However, that is not the only thing you should serve them. Seeds are high in fat and in large quantities can cause your parrot to gain unnecessary weight. Even if your bird exercises vigorously playing with his bird toys, you should restrict the amount of nuts and seeds you provide.
12. Never adopt a parrot without knowing what you’re getting into. A parrot should never be an impulse purchase. These birds require extensive care, a stable home and an owner who will love them their entire life. You need to be ready to make this commitment before purchasing or adopting a parrot.
Posted in Bird Health, Bird Tips
Tagged 12 Things you Should never do with your Parrot Part II, 12 Tips you should not do with your parrot, Bird Tips, Bird Toys, bird toys for African Grey Parrots, Bird Toys for Amazon Parrots, Bird toys for Eclectus Parrots, conure bird toys, FunTime Birdy, Parakeet toys, Parrot Playgyms, Parrot Tips, Parrot Toys, Quaker bird toys
March Madness is here at FunTime Birdy.
The Sales are crazy (LOL)……save up to 50% on bird toys, parrot gyms and more.
Check out these on Sale Items:
Birdy Cubed Bird Toy for African Greys and Amazons
Starship Trooper Bird Toy for Cockatoos and Macaws
Posted in Products
Tagged bird toys for African Grey Parrots, Bird Toys for Amazon Parrots, bird toys for cockatiels, bird toys for cockatoos, bird toys for macaws, bird toys for parakeets, FunTime Birdy, March Madness Bird Toys on sale, Parrot Playgyms for African Greys, Parrot Playgyms for Amazons, Parrot Playgyms for Cockatiels, Parrot Playgyms for Parakeets, Parrot Playgyms for Quaker Parrots, Parrot Playgyms on Sale
Check out Rio, Rosie and Kermit enjoying their new Mango Deluxe Foraging Station and FunTime Birdy bird toys.
Their Mom writes “As you can see from the picture they love their new Sheena of the Jungle and Dino Bolt toys and of course, their new Mango Deluxe Foraging Station”
I am very happy your a professional!! Excellent communication, very fast delivery and excellent products!!
What more could a customer ask for and yes my birds love this stand and your toys I am a customer for life : )
Thanks Lisa for the kind words.
Posted in Products
Tagged bird perches, bird toys for African Grey Parrots, bird toys for cockatoos, bird toys for macaws, Birdy Toys for Amazon Parrots, Booda Perches, FunTime Birdy, Mango Stands, Parrot Play gyms for Amazon Parrots, Parrot Playgyms, Playgyms for African Greys, Playgyms for Eclectus Parrots, Sale on Bird Toys
Scary Savings at FunTime Birdy
The Savings are pretty scary this month at FunTime Birdy……..Save on Bird Toys, Parrot Playgyms, Bird Perches and more.
Now through November 10th.
Check out these Customer favorite bird toys:
Bird Cubed Bird Toy for African grey/Amazon size parrots
Monkey Business Bird Toy for Cockatiel and Quaker size Birds
African Grey with the FunTime Birdy ShredFest
We are asked many times……what bird toy would you suggest for my bird?
I always break bird toys into categories. Here are my suggestions…..Remember the more bird toys your feathered friend has the more occupied he/she will be and the happier they will be.
• Chewable Bird Toys: Toys they can chew on: Most parrots have thick beaks that they love to use. So bird toys made out of wood and plastic are your best bet. Here are some examples of chewable bird toys.
Tubular Pops Bird Toy for Parakeets
SuperPop Bird Toy for Cockatiels and Conures
Birdy Cubed for Amazon and African Grey Size Birds
Kaleidescope Bird Toy for Cockatoos and Macaws
• Shreddable Bird Toys: Toys they can shred: Birds can be destructive—and they absolutely love engaging in this behavior. It provides them with a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. Shreddable toys are a safe way to allow your bird to indulge themselves.
Small Octopus Bird Toy by Planet Pleasures
Shredville Bird Toy
ShredFest Bird Toy
Shred Sandwich Bird Toy
• Foraging Bird Toys: Foraging bird toys allow you to hide food inside a toy—forcing your feathered friend to work for their dinner. Since birds are natural foragers, this type of parrot toy is a great addition to any collection.
Barrel of Fun Bird Toy by Caitec
Hide N seek Bird Toy by Caitec
Eco Forage Packs
Creative Foraging Kits
Posted in Bird Tips, Products
Tagged Bird Toys, bird toys by FunTime Birdy, bird toys for African Grey Parrots, Bird Toys for Amazon Parrots, bird toys for cockatiels, bird toys for conures, bird toys for linnie parakeets, bird toys for parakeets, bird toys for Quaker parrots, Caitec, Chewable Bird Toys, Foraging bird toys, FunTime Birdy, Planet Pleasures Bird Toys, shreddable bird toys
Only 3 Days Left
Only 3 days left……to take an extra 10% off your order.
Over 150 products on Sale from Bird Toys, Parrot Playgyms, Bird Perches, Educational and Trick Training Bird Toys and more!!!!
Use Coupon Code FTBTEN at checkout.
See All 150 Products on Sale
Posted in Products
Tagged bird perches, bird toys for African Grey Parrots, Bird Toys for Amazon Parrots, bird toys for cockatiels, bird toys for parakeets, bird toys on sale, cockatoo toys, Coupon Code for FunTime Birdy, Educational and Trick Training Toys on Sale, FunTime Birdy, Parrot Playgyms, Parrot Playgyms on Sale, trick training toys for birds